I live like a homeless person. I can sometimes grab food when I stay at my friends house or at my parents, but often I end up sleeping in my car to save gas. This means that the free cheap meals can be hard to attain.
One of the biggest expenses that I, many college students, and many of my friends have in general is eating out. Unfortunately that usually includes crappy fast food which you know is bad for you, but you don’t have the time to cook a meal. Welcome to my world.
Well it’s time to stop cramming those Mcdoubles down you mouth and save yourself some money – while eating some cheap healthy food of course that will help you lose that weight destroying your self-esteem.
1. Stop at a Jewel, Marianos, Walmart, ect and pick up some fruit. You can also often get baby carrots for dirt cheap. Bananas and Apples are your close friends. Ideally, you want to focus on produce that you can eat while you drive.
2. You can stop at places like Dollar General, Family Dollar, ect and get nuts. Avoid the roasted and heavily salted nuts if possible. Almonds, peanuts, and cashews make very good sources of protein that will help fill you up.
3. DRINK MORE WATER. It’s a known fact that water not only will decrease your appetite and thus your desire to eat food, but it’s very important to your overall diet. Something like 70% of American’s are dehydrated. That’s bad, M’kay?
4. Don’t buy food at gas stations if possible. If you have no choice, settle for nuts of some kind. They will at least fill you up. Also, refrain from drinking soda. It will dehydrate you and its no secret that its actually bad for you.
5. Avoid fast food like the plague. It often won’t fill you up – your body knows – and its that consistent dollar here and there that start to add up to that 100$+ a month spent on crappy food. Don’t be that person.
I can not strain this enough: Places like Dollar Tree and Dollar general are your friends as they will allow you to attain nuts for a cheap price providing your source of protein. You could easily drop about 10$ and have enough nuts to hold you over for the week – assuming you throw some fruits and basic veggies into the mix. Trader Joes is known to have one pound bags for about 2$. Simply stop at a grocery store for the rest and you have your apples, pears, plums, bananas, and baby carrots for easily under 20$ that can last you the rest of the week.
One of the key ways to losing weight it so simply eat less – something that you can accomplish without starving yourself to death. You can reduce your overall appetite through carefully eating small meals – an apple here and some nuts there – over the course of the day.
Eat cheap and well my friends.